Personal Articles Insurance (Items)

For anything valuable you want to insure: wedding rings, jewelry, designer handbags, heirlooms, and anything else you’d be worried about if something happened to it. Personal articles insurance is for belongings that aren’t permanently attached to your house, and therefore aren’t covered under your normal homeowner’s insurance policy. 

A boat - Boat and PWC Insurance

What is personal articles insurance?

 What circumstances does it cover?

Personal articles insurance covers theft, loss and damage.

Other names for personal articles insurance?

Personal articles insurance also goes by special personal property insurance, personal belongings insurance and scheduled personal property insurance.

Would it be replaced or would I just get money back?

This depends on your policy, but usually jewelry is replaced with a similar piece.

Does it only apply to damage or loss that happens at home?

No. If you go on vacation or anywhere else out of the house, you can still make a claim if something happens to an item on your personal articles policy. 

What’s worth insuring under a personal articles insurance policy?

That’s up to you, but make sure to check your homeowner’s insurance policy to see how much it covers. Usually, homeowner’s policies cover only up to a certain amount; if you have valuable items that are worth more than that amount, you might want to look into a personal articles insurance policy. 

What can I insure?

    • Wedding ring
    • Jewelry
    • Furs
    • Handbags
    • Cameras
    • Bicycles
    • Musical Instruments
    • Silverware
    • China and Crystal
    • Computers and Electronics
    • Art
    • Postage stamps
    • Rare coins
    • Comic books
    • Sports equipment
    • Hearing aids
    • Medical equipment
    • Firearms


If you want this coverage make sure to ask your home insurance company first to see if they can add it before buying a separate policy.