Antique & Classic Car Insurance

Classic Car - Antique and classic car insurance

Types of Insurance

Types of insurance - Antique and classic car insurance


Glossary - Antique and classic car insurance


Discounts - Antique and classic car insurance

Types of Classic Car Insurance

Low Insurance

For those who don’t worry or need to save money


  • Bodily Injury:
    • $50,000/person
    • $100,000/accident
  • Property Damage: $50,000/accident
  • Or state minimum

Un/Underinsured Motorist Bodily Injury

    • $50,000/person or state minimum
    • $100,000/accident

    Medical Payments

    • None


    • Deductible: None or High deductible of at least $1,000

Standard Insurance

For the average person


  • Bodily Injury:
    • $100,000/person
    • $300,000/accident
  • Property Damage: $100,000/accident

Un/Underinsured Motorist Bodily Injury

  • $100,000/person
  • $300,000/accident

Medical Payments

  • $1,000-$5,000/person


  • Deductible: Medium deductible $500
  • Roadside Assistance

Premium Insurance

For those who worry or have a high net worth


  • Bodily Injury:
    • $250,000/person
    • $500,000/accident
  • Property Damage: $100,000

Un/Underinsured Motorist Bodily Injury

  • $250,000/person
  • $500,000/accident

Medical Payments

  • $10,000/person


  • Variable Deductible (High for lower price or low for more protection)
  • Roadside Assistance


Liability (Bodily Injury & Property Damage)

This protects other people than the insured. It pays for injuries and property damage that the insured has inflicted while driving.

Example: With liability limits of 50/100/50. The insurance company will pay up to $50,000/person and $100,000/accident for bodily injuries and $50,000/accident for property damage. If three people had $40,000 worth of bodily injury claims, the insurance company would only pay $33,333 for each person. This is because paying each claim $40,000 would amount to $120,000, when the insured had a limit of $100,000/accident. If only two people had a claim of $40,000, all claims would be paid for because this only amounts to $80,000 of the $100,000/accident limit.

Uninsured & Underinsured

This covers bodily injury payments for the insured driver and passengers in the vehicle in the case of the at fault driver (not being the insured driver) does not have enough insurance to cover the insured driver and passengers. This includes drivers without insurance and hit and runs.

Example: If another driver hit the insured and they had liability limits of 50/100/50 and the insured had 50/100 un/underinsured coverage. Leaving the insured and the insured’s two passengers with $60,000 of bodily injury each totaling $180,000. The other driver’s insurance would pay $100,000 (33,333/person) to the insured and insured’s passenger. Then the insured’s insurance would pay the remaining $80,000 (26,666/person).

Medical Payments

This covers medical expenses of the insured and passengers up to three years or until the limit is reached. This would be paid regardless of fault.

Example: $5,000 is the medical payment limit. If the insured crashed into a tree and injured two passengers. The driver and shotgun passenger were seriously injured and were rushed to the hospital. Their medical bills were $20,000 and $30,000. The insurance company paid $5,000 to both of them towards their medical bills. The second passenger didn’t receive any major injuries and didn’t feel any aches. Days later he started feeling more and more pain in his side. He ended up going to the doctor to get it looked at and needed physical therapy. Over months of time this costed $15,000. The insured’s insurance company paid $5,000 of it.

Personal Insurance Protection

PIP (Personal Injury Protection) pays for things including medical payments, lost wages, rehabilitation services, funeral costs, childcare, etc. This is a required coverage in some states. and would be paid out regardless of fault.

Example: A passenger was killed in an accident and the PIP payment was designated to only go towards the funeral costs. If the funeral cost $10,000 and the insured had $3,500 PIP that would leave $6,500 for the insured / deseasded’s family to pay.


An insured will pay up to the deductible amount before the insurance company will pay any money towards. There are actually two deductibles one for collision and the overturn of the vehicle and the other for everything else.

When insurance companies pay claim they pay the lower of either the replacement cost or cash value of the parts. What’s the difference? The cash value is less than the replacement cost and becomes less and less as the car gets older.

Roadside Assistance

Roadside Assistance programs vary, but the main point of them is to help you if you call in with a request while on the road. The typical program covers towing, locksmith, battery jump-start, fuel delivery, and flat tire change. Some services include winching which means they will help pull your car out of a roadside ditch.

This service is usually only a few extra dollars a month, but you will need to be careful not to use it to often. Once a quarter would be fine, but if you are using roadside assistance multiple times a month, your insurance company will raise your insurance rate to compensate for how often you use it.

Some find it better to purchase roadside assistance from a motor club such as AAA. Motor clubs are usually more expensive, but offer more service as well.

Custom Parts & Equipment

Covers upgrades and other manufactured parts that are added on to your vehicle such as a stereo, rims, spoiler, paint job, etc. Usually this insurance has a limit (eg. $5,000).

Actual Cash Value

If your car is destroyed and will need to be replaced then your insurance company will pay for a brand new vehicle of the current year or later. Only vehicles purchased new and are not more than one year old qualify.


  • Multi Policy
  • Multi Car
  • Multi Driver
  • Continuous Insurance
  • Loyalty
  • Anti-lock Brakes
  • Anti-Theft
  • Safety / Restraint
  • Green / Hybrid
  • New Car
  • Good Driver
  • Driver Training
  • Accident-Free
  • Low Mileage
  • Participation Program
  • Senior
  • Military / Serviceman
  • Good Student
  • Student Away From Home
  • Low Income
  • Paid in Full
  • Early Payment
  • Automatic Payments
  • Bank or Card Payments
  • Paperless

*Different carriers use different discounts

Frequently Asked Questions

Do we insure drivers with a SR 22 or people with a bad driving record? Yes!

In fact, we can assist you in getting a better driving record.

Can I get insurance if I don't have a car but still drive?

This is called non-owners insurance. This is a cheaper alternative for those who need insurance but don’t have their own vehicle. 

Do we insure salvaged title vehicles?

Insurance companies that we use for this are Auto-Owners, Progressive, and Safeco

Do we insure Uber & Lyft drivers?

This is a commercial policy and is more expensive than a regular car insurance policy but it will cover you when you are working for any transportation network. We can also insure you on a regular car insurance policy but you will not be covered if you are using the transportation network app while driving. It’s okay with us, if it’s okay with you.

Do we insure foreign licensed drivers?

We use Progressive and Viking as our main insurance companies for this.

What do I do if I get into an accident?

If it’s your fault, call us and we’ll help you. If it’s not your fault, then let the other person’s insurance carrier handle it and avoid having your insurance carrier know about the claim. If the police file a report then it’s inevitable, but you don’t want something not your fault showing up on your insurance record. Even if no other person is involved or vehicle is the only one damaged even if you call your insurance carrier about it and don’t have them pay for it, the carrier will put it down and it will negatively effect your insurance score. So if you don’t know what to do, call us.

How can I file a claim?

 We strongly recommend calling us before the insurance carrier directly about a claim. You may not want to file a claim depending on your insurance plan and we will assist you in filling a claim the best way to make sure you take the least amount of damage possible to your insurance score. After talking with us, you can call the insurance carrier or let us call them for you.


If you can’t find your answer here, please don’t hesitate to ask a representative through our messaging system or email